Posts Tagged ‘parties’

Carolina Pines Halloween Carnival on October 25

Friday, October 22nd, 2010

Get the costumes ready and get in the Halloween spirit with the Carolina Pines Halloween carnival on Monday, October 25, 2010 from 6:30 PM to 8:00 PM.

The carnival is for ages (more…)

Parties and Calling 9-1-1, an RPD Perspective

Friday, September 10th, 2010

We previously posted an interview with Walt Fuller, Deputy Director of Operations for Raleigh-Wake County Emergency Communications Center about when people should dial 9-1-1 or the non emergency number concerning some of the quality of life issues that we want to improve in our  neighborhood. We also wanted to get the perspective from someone in the field that has to determine if, in fact, there is a violation, and determine whether or not to issue a citation.

We interviewed Officer A.P. Draughon III from Raleigh Police Department (RPD). He is probably one of the most knowledgeable people on the City of Raleigh’s PROP ordinance (Probationary Rental Occupancy Permit) and has years of experience as the one of the CLAMP-DOWN officers, whose sole purpose was to issue Noise and Party Ordinance (NPO) citations in the South West district.

We posed some of the same questions to Officer Draughon that we asked Walt Fuller. See his responses below, from an RPD perspective, and look for a meeting announcement about PROP education later this month. (more…)

Trailwood Hills Charts HOA and City Rules

Thursday, July 1st, 2010

Trailwood Hills HOA has created several documents in an effort to assist the homeowners in Trailwoods Hills with respect to our covenants and various City ordinances. They are basically a quick reference guides that cover questions about parking, parties, grass height, PROP, and other concerns that are frequently asked or sent to the HOA board.  (more…)

DDNA Meeting Notes November 2009

Thursday, December 10th, 2009

District D Neighborhood Alliance (DDNA) meeting held on November 21, 2009 at Renaissance Park. Special guests included Captain Perry (Raleigh Police Department), Kristen Rosselli (Community Services Department Director), and
Tom Stafford (Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs, at North Carolina State University).

Meeting Notes

The meeting opened with Captain Perry speaking about the PROP – he spoke of the delays in getting the system set-up, but now it is fully operational. The first citation was written on 8/17/09. To date, 147 tickets have been written: 121 for house parties and 16 for vehicles

Fines are $100 for the first offense, $300 for the second; these count toward strikes on the property (if it is a rental, toward PROP). Geographic breakdown is as follows: (more…)

Technician makes noise about parties

Friday, September 11th, 2009

On Thursday, September 10, 2009, Technician, the student newspaper for NC State, reported on Police issuing citations for noise violations. The Lineberry Alliance has posted similar articles to help clarify the noise and party ordinance. We’ve also prepared tips for students living off-campus and want to welcome them to our community and help them be a good neighbor.

The article talks about our efforts to educate students and neighbors to make them aware of the noise and party ordinance:

Jason Hibbets is the organizer of the Lineberry Alliance, a collection of different home owners associations in the Raleigh area. Hibbets, an alumnus, said he welcomes the Noise and Party Ordinance and is working to help college students understand what they mean. “Some of this stuff I would have loved to have known [when I was in college],” he said, “rather than have to find out by a police officer knocking on my door at 1 a.m.” He said the ordinance is something everyone seems to be confused about.

Also mentioned in the article was the high quality of life neighborhoods are seeking, which was a little out of context: (more…)

Noise and Party Ordinance Information

Thursday, August 27th, 2009

A lot of residents in the Lineberry area have questions about noise violations and nuisance parties. I will try to clarify some of these questions based on the knowledge and experience I’ve gained over the years. First, I’d start by saying that having a quiet and peaceful neighborhood is a right that each neighbor has; violating this right impacts our quality of life. Second, I’ll cover the basics about prohibited noises and nuisance parties, what actions you can take, and frequently asked questions with some answers to help you. Feedback is welcome of course, use the comments section of the blog to post any additional questions.

About my approach

I used several different sources for this article including reviewing parts of the municipal code for the City of Raleigh and consulting experts in the Raleigh Police Department (RPD). You’ll notice a few numbers that are referenced, they are Raleigh City Code (RCC) and provide the basis for the ordinance, definition of violations, enforcement, and penalties.

The basics

Sample Nuisance Ticket

Sample Nuisance Ticket

The noise ordinance (RCC 12-5007) is in effect from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. (nighttime hours), local time. This covers any noise that is unreasonably loud such as amplified music, shouting, firearms, building construction, or animals (with habitual or frequent sounds like crying, howling, or barking). There is a 24-hour loud noise ordinance (RCC 12-5006), however, a police officer must receive information as to how the disturbance is specifically being a “detriment to the life or health” of the complainant. This makes it more difficult to enforce before 11 p.m.

Any nuisance party is enforceable 24×7. RCC 13-3017 defines a nuisance party as the following:

A nuisance party is a party or other social gathering conducted in the City and which, by reason of the conduct of those persons in attendance, results in any one (1) or more of the following conditions or occurrences:

  • unlawful public possession or consumption of alcohol, unlawful drunken and disruptive conduct; public urination or defecation; the unlawful sale, furnishing, or consumption of alcoholic beverages;
  • the unlawful deposit of trash or litter on public or private property;
  • the unlawful destruction of public or private property;
  • the generation of pedestrian or vehicular traffic caused by those invited to or allowed to attend which obstructs the free flow of residential traffic or interferes with the ability to provide emergency services;
  • excessive, unnecessary or unusually loud noise which disturbs the repose of the neighborhood;
  • public disturbances, brawls, fights or quarrels;
  • or any other activity resulting in conditions that annoy, injure or endanger the safety, health, comfort or repose of the neighboring residents, or results in any obscene conduct, or results in any immoral exhibition or indecent exposure by persons at the gathering.

Phew! Have you got all that? Now what can you do about it?

Citizen action

If your quality of life is being threatened by a noise violation or a nuisance party and you want police action, call 9-1-1. Other remedies include neighborly approaches such as contacting the property owner or notifying those in violation. Do not put yourself in any harmful situations. If you suspect the consumption of alcohol is involved, it may be in your best interest to contact 9-1-1 to not endanger yourself or provoke any unwanted actions. Additionally, contacting 9-1-1 will keep a record of any of these violations. Tip: You may want to get another neighbor to call 9-1-1 as well if you think they are being disturbed.

When you contact 9-1-1, give the communications specialist your name, address, and phone number as well as the violation type and location of the complaint. As I understand, it is not the practice of the police department to release your information to the subject you are complaining against. You can, however, request to remain anonymous. You can also request a call back from the officer after the call has been responded to.

Frequently asked questions

What happens when you call 9-1-1 to report a noise violation or nuisance party?
The communications specialist will collect the information and the complaint will then be dispatched to RPD. Both noise and party violations are priority four (P4). This means that a priority one call, such as an accident or a life-threatening situation will take precedence over a noise or party complaint. The upside though is that by September 2009, all officers will be trained on the recent amendments to the noise ordinances and nuisance party (source: Police Officers Receive Training In Housing Code Violations).

What are the penalties for a noise violation or nuisance party?
The penalties for these violations have changed as of July 2009 (source: Parties Could Get Pricey). Violators are now subject to a civil penalty of one hundred dollars ($100.00). If there are more than one violation within a 12-month period, the civil penalty increases to three hundred dollars ($300). Criminal penalties (misdemeanor) can also apply if convicted.

What if I’m the only person being disturbed by a nuisance party?
The way the ordinance reads, the nuisance party must have “excessive, unnecessary or unusually loud noise which disturbs the repose of the neighborhood.” Because it says neighborhood and not neighbor, it must be more than one residence being disturbed. A good rule of thumb is to walk down two houses. If you can hear the violation from more than two houses away, this in fact, is disturbing the neighborhood.

Do I need to get a neighbor to call too?
RCC 12-5006 and RCC 12-5007 both use a two complainant standard. A police officer can be one of the complainants if, when they arrive on scene, can confirm the violation. The second complainant needs to be the original subject who called 9-1-1. If a complainant calling 9-1-1 does not leave their information with emergency communications, the complainant has possibly limited the officer’s enforcement actions to a warning. Additionally, a second complainant can be another person who is being disturbed by the violation.

Is a nuisance party a two complaint standard?
RCC 13-3017 is not a two complaint standard like the noise ordinance. However, if an officer arrives on scene and the nuisance party is only a noise complaint, it will have to meet the requirements of disturbing the neighborhood as mentioned above.

What if the party continues after the police have made a visit?
Call 9-1-1 again, inform the communication specialists that you believe an officer has already made one visit, but the violation is continuing.

Should I call the non-Emergency number instead?
I do not recommend that you contact the non-Emergency number for a noise violation or nuisance party. The communications specialists who answer 9-1-1 also answer the non-Emergency line. When you call 9-1-1 your call is recorded and dispatched.


Lineberry Alliance Tips for Students Fall 2009 Edition

Tuesday, August 18th, 2009

Students, welcome to the neighborhood! We hope you have a successful Fall 2009 Semester. Move-in weekend was busy around N.C. State’s campus and we know that you’re probably busy getting things in order for classes. We wanted to take a few minutes to provide you with some essential information that could make your living experience in our neighborhoods safe, enjoyable, and friendly.

We’d like to first start off by providing some tips that will help you get going in our neighborhoods:

  • Get to know your neighbors. You should know your immediate neighbors. Go introduce yourselves, exchange numbers, emails, etc. They don’t have to be your new best friends, but when you think about crime prevention, your neighbor is a good ally.
  • Our trash, recycling, and yard waste collection day in SouthWest Raleigh is every Thursday (unless there is a holiday). The city also provides other services like bulky load pick-up or special load pick-up if you can’t get everything into your city-issued bin. The city requires that trash bins be brought in by Friday at 7:00 PM, we don’t want our neighborhoods to have trash bins out all week long. Get all the info you need from how to get a recycling bin to what items are recycled at the cities page for: Garbage, Recycling and Yardwaste.
  • Party up? Volume down. Our area has traditionally been known to have a party or two. Residents have been actively calling 9-1-1 on party-goers that are too loud or violate the noise ordinance that starts at 11:00 PM. As we previously wrote, Parties Could Get Pricey, tickets are being issued with zero tolerance and will count as a strike in the PROP (see below) when a citation is issued. A conviction is no longer needed, only a citation now.
    • Be a good neighbor and keep the noise down. Make sure your guests know this is a family neighborhood. It will make things a lot easier on everyone that lives here. We’re sure that you also appreciate a nice, quiet environment to study in.
  • Park only in designated parking spots. Some neighborhoods have restricted parking like NO PARKING zones. We recommend that you do not park in no parking zones as you will get ticketed and it will cost you $30. Also, for the safety of pedestrians and cyclists, don’t park on sidewalks, block driveways, or park in areas that obstruct views. Those are cities rules, not ours.
  • Drive with respect. Because this is our, and now your neighborhood, we ask that you watch your speed. There are a lot of kids and active people in our area. Most streets in our area like Lineberry Drive, Sierra Drive, and Trailwood Hills drive are 35 MPH. Some are 25 MPH. People seem to think that Trailwood Drive is a speedway to Avent Ferry, when in fact it’s 35-40 MPH. You can go slower if you want, there’s no rush, classes will still be there. Raleigh Police Department (RPD) has been known to hand out speeding tickets like hotcakes. You’ve been warned ;)
  • Maintain your yard. Keeping your grass cut and your yard tidy is important not only for public health and welfare, but for crime prevention and neighborhood curb appeal. We’re not asking you to make the next JC Raulston Arboretum, but a well-maintained yard helps make our neighborhood look welcoming to guests and new neighbors. There are also numerous businesses in our neighborhood that specialize in landscape services.
  • Fireworks are illegal and often mistaken for gunshots. No one likes to think there are gunshots in our vicinity and with the hot, dry days, it also becomes a fire hazard. We do not want a neighbor to lose their home or have property damaged because of fireworks.

A lot of people live in this area because they love the location. We are convenient to NCSU, downtown, I-40, and have great shopping close-by. We also enjoy a great quality of life and a broad diversity of neighbors.

All of our neighborhoods have sidewalks on major streets which are great for exercising. We recently got new crosswalks along Lineberry Drive after requesting them back in January 2009. If you travel along Trailwood Drive, you’ve probably noticed our new traffic signal, it’s nice to have those improvements at that intersection.

The City of Raleigh made some updates recently to some ordinances that effect our neighborhoods:

  • For those of you renting, you need to be aware of the Probationary Rental Occupancy Permit Ordinance (PROP). The PROP now requires your landlords to be registered with the city and is focused on addressing the problem rental properties in established neighborhoods. Properties could start acquiring “strikes” in the PROP program for nuisance violations such as grass that is too tall, parties that are too loud, trash in the yard, and other public health, welfare, and quality of life issues. You can find out more on the cities website:
  • All residents using Raleigh’s water are under year-round water restrictions. Find out more: City Of Raleigh Water Restrictions
  • If you have a dog, you may want to read up on the new tethering rules: Prepare For Dog Tethering Ordinance

How to get involved

Thanks to Sheryl (Trailwood Hills), Danielle (Whitehurst Townhomes), Merri Beth (Pleasant Ridge & Ramsgate), and Chad (Trailwood Springs) for contributing to this post.